20 years of fatherhood

Today, 7th August Monika turns 20. 20 years have passed, but it seems as if it has happened just a few minutes ago. I remember the day, when on August 6th, 1994 I came to Moscow from Dubna. In the evening I was planning to visit Sattar. Then he lived not that far from our Leninsky prospect flat. I called him and was ready to go. I was about to leave the house when Gulya told that she was feeling uneasy and asked me to call the maternity. They asked me a few questions (very common), but due to my ignorance I gave funny answers. Later we laughed a lot remembering that. I went to the hospital with Gulya which was not far from our flat. Leaving her there I came to the flat alone. For the first time I spent a night alone in that flat. I had no idea what to do. Usually I read books or papers or watch TV, but that night I was completely at a loss. In the morning Gulya phoned me and told we are o.k. I asked what do you mean we? In fact even then I couldn't realize the existence of a new member i our family. After sometime I took some fruits (what she asked) and went to the hospital. There was no way to meet her. I was waiting at the street when she looked through the window and threw me a photo, the first photo of Monika, taken just after her birth. Beside the photo there was Gulya's name and time of birth 2.50 a.m. It was a funny looking baby, and I had no idea what to feel. After three days they were released from the hospital. During those days I went there every day. I prepared the flat to meet them. On the scheduled day went there bring them back home. My friend Dipak (Dipankar Nag) was with me. The moment I took Monika in my hands I felt that she was always with me, with us. Now she is a young lady, very independent. I don't see her as regular as I wish to. But we are always in touch. Time to time I call her, but most time either she forgets her set back home, or busy. But she calls me too. Then I simply call her back. She says "Privet pap (hello papa), Kak dela (How are you)? Can't you recharge my mobile? I am in minus zone and can't contact Sasha." "Konechno Miu (Sure mu), Skazhi dge ty, v sluchae problemy stoby ya smog zvonit Sashe and skazat' tebe vstretit' (tell me where are you in case if some problem arise, I can ask Sasha to see you). "Spasibo Pap! Davai potom perezvoniu ili napishu v kontankte (Thank you Pap! I'll call you later or write you in v contact). Sometimes I notice that she feels zealous as she thinks I love Seva most. I really love Seva and let him a lot, but in the deep of my heart I don't know who I love most. When Seva asks I usually tell (33.333333333333333333333 - Kristina- 33.333333333333333333333 - Monika, 33.333333333333333333334 you). But not sure who possesses the last 4. 


By the way, we came back yesterday only to celebrate her birthday together. But as it comes out, she wil be working and then meet the day with friend. So I made it in a different style. I asked her “What do you want?” She told, “Nothing, but if you wish you can give an amount of money later.” Then together with Kristina we went to the shop. I gave her three times more money that she asked for. She also wanted ice-cream. I bought two ice-cream cakes. One we ate in the evening - and told "thus we see off your 19th year (kak Russkie provozhaut staryi god - as the Russians see off old year. Tomorrow in the morning, when she will leave for office, we will eat the second ice-cream cake to celebrate her 20th spring (tak Russkie vstrechaut Novyi god - as the Russians meet the New Year).      


Gulya is not very happy that the kids don't listen to us (I think very few parents could e happy for that). But I feel proud, as it is what I did all my life, do what I think well. Though I show disappointment but in the deep of my heart I appreciate when they revolt, argue and do what they like. Good to see yourself younger, fool and stubborn in your kids. 



Happy birthday to you Monika!     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

২৪ জুনের দিনলিপি

ছোট্ট সমস্যা

প্রায়োরিটি