Seva turns 10

It was 1974. I was a pupil of class V of Tara Primary School. Our school was quite small, so we studied in two shifts, class I and II from 10 to 12 and other three classes from 12.30 to 16.30 (most probably). We didn’t have any play ground, so we usually spend our leisure in the nearby market, sitting on the trunk of a banyan tree (to be perfect, Koroi gach) with ice creams, biscuits etc. That time the Kaliganga Bridge was under construction. A lot of people from our village worked there with the Americans. It was a good chance to fill the low ground in front of the school and convert it into a normal play ground. So we few boys of class five (Montu, Ranjit and myself, 2nd, 3rd and 1st boy of the class, respectively) were asked to collect signatures from the villagers and hand over a petition on their behalf to the Vanel Company (who constructed the bridge) for technical help. WE did it in a few days and one morning three or four dozers came and in no time converted the low ground into a play ground. Since we did it during the final examination, our teachers decided to give us marks on the basis of previous tests and we three got a places as it took place for last five years. Time had come to leave the school and move to the Baniajuri Union High School in the nearby village. So in early January 1975 we all went to school to get the certificate. Everyone got it as usual and I too got mine. To my astonishment I noticed my birthday was written 2nd January, 1964. I knew very well that my birthday is 25th December. Every year we celebrate it. Mine was the special one. If my brothers and sister were allowed to invite only their friends, in my case things were different. Beside my friends, friends of my brothers and sister were also among the invitees. It is a winter day. In the morning my mother asked me to take bath in the river Kaliganga with my friends. After that we went to one of our fields where peas (motorshuti) were cultivated. Pea (Motor Shak) and Khichuri) was among the items of my birthday. So I dully told the teachers that my date of birth is 25th December, but they paid no attention to that. They told me it is ok. Indeed, in our country they were bothered with only whether the student would be eligible for government service at the time when they finish their study. I also thought, let it be. I know my date of birth and that only matters. I forgot about it.
After some three years either by the end of class VIII or early class IX we were asked to fills up a form. For the first time I had to write my date of birth. When I was going to write 25th December, a teacher came to me and told to copy it from primary school certificate. And it was 2nd January, 1964. From that day I realize that I have two birth days, one original, the day when I came to this world, another – official, as it was written in my primary certificate. Those days nobody issued any birth certificate at least to those, who were born in villages and at home.
In Soviet Union I went on to celebrate 25th December as my birthday and everybody knows it as my birthday. But in paper I write 2nd January. And it was always troublesome to remember my official birthday (I have to write it every now and then for different purposes).
Time was moving steadily. I got my M.Sc. and Ph.D. from Peoples’ Friendship University. In 1994 I joined the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research. That year on August 07 Monika was born. That time Gulya lived in Moscow. I used to come in the weekends.  One such day I was planning to visit Sattar who lived not far from our house. Just when I was going out, Gulya told me that she was feeling unwell and asked me to call 03. I called 03, there were some questions from the other end and some funny answers from my side.  Yes, something you have to do for the first time. The ambulance came and I took her to the hospital. She asked me to prepare (disinfect) the room. In the hospital I have to sign some papers and took back her clothes. It was the first night I spent alone in that flat. Before leaving for Dubna, I lived in the hostel. Next morning Gulya called and cold they are ok. I asked, what did she mean by them?  I forgot that by this she is no longer alone. Monika is with her. We named her Monika a few months ago as soon as we knew the gender of the coming baby. After a few days I took them back. My friend Dipu came along us. In 1996 they moved to Dubna. In 1997 I went to Bangladesh on the way to Pune, where I attended a Conference. In April, 1998 she told me that she is expecting a baby.  We were a bit shocked first and had no idea how to react. Those days we visited Moscow every now and then. One day in the metro I saw a placard “abortion is an assassination”. I showed her the placard and told, I’ll support any decision you take, but I don’t tell you what one to take. Kristina was born in Dubna on 9th December 1998. That day in the morning I took her to the hospital. At 5 p.m. my boss at Dubna informed me about Kristina’s birth. We were then at a meeting related to my extension. It was quite hard time. For some reason my neighbor, a powerful German, wanted me to leave the house (it was a two storied cottage, and as I heard after a long time, he, mainly his wife wanted to occupy the whole building – ultimately they did it thanks to the default of Russian economy and I had to change the flat in order to keep my job. But soon after that something happened and they were living separately. One person close to that German told me that the guy is good, it is his wife who is to blame for that all. I simply told him, it is their problem, not mine). So her birth played as a trump card in my hand and I got a lease of life for another 6 months in terms of job. In May 1999 we moved to another flat. It was already after the default and time was really hard for us to maintain the family. But we stood up and faced the troubles.  In 2002 the old story was replayed. Gulya was expecting for another baby. But I told, it is time to be reasonable. Not that it will be hard, but people would not understand us. So we went to the doctor and agreed the date when the abortion would take place. That day in the morning Gulya called the kids and asked if they want to have a brother. Anton told, if it would be brother, he is for him to come. Kristina always sided with Gulya, so she told if mama wants she would support that. Monika asked me what do I want and she will support me. Gulya told now they are three against two. So she decided not to see the doctor. I can’t say that it made me felt sorry. I was indeed happy that things came out that way. During the pregnancy she saw the doctor in Moscow but decide to give birth in Dubna. That time it was possible to choose a doctor as well as cabin. The doctor told us that the baby is due sometimes on 9th January, but she will be on leave then and insisted on 2nd January, just after the New Years fest. So on 2nd January 2003 I took her to the hospital. The doctor asked if I want to stay with her during delivery. But Gulya told me to go home and look after the kids. Seva was born on January 2nd, 2003 sometimes in the evening. Next day in the morning I went to the nearby shop to buy some gifts for him. That day for the first time in life I won a doll (some machines were there to play).  Then with Monika and Kristina I went to the hospital to see Seva. After two days they were released from the hospital.  I was given some paper regarding Seva’s birth. There I read the date of birth 2nd January. WE were a bit busy then. After one month I went to Moscow to get Seva’s birth certificate. First day it didn’t work, as something was missing in the papers they gave me at the hospital. Next time it was ok. The lady took our passports and began to fill the documents.   It is she who first noticed that Seva was born on day same day as did I. It was a discovery. From that time 2nd January became a day we eagerly wait for. Today Seva is 10. I no more have to see the passport to write my date of birth in the documents. 2nd January is now as good as 25th December. So some mistakes can come back to you as bless. What is interesting, when the doctor proposed for 2nd January I was a bit bothered, as I wanted Gulya to spend the New Year’s holidays together with the children. I don’t know had I remembered that my official birthday is 2nd January, what would be my reaction then. Any way, we are happy that it came out this way around. I wish Seva a happy birthday.
P.S. As far as date of birth is concerned, in Bangladesh now the government issued official birth certificate to everybody. Though I was surprised to see the certificate of my nephew where his date of birth is given September 21st, 1996, though in fact it is September 21st, 1994. When I asked him last year, he told me that the teacher did it with an eye to future job prospect.

January 01, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

২৪ জুনের দিনলিপি

রাজনীতি

স্মৃতি